satisfaction

100%  Customer Satisfaction
With Every Job We Do

local company

Proudly Serving The USA
More than 45 Locations

warranty

Warrenty Given on Every Job
We stand behind our work

the duct kings logo

Call Us Today!

(866) 632-6270

What Happens If You Eat Mold?


Mold! It’s been the talk of the town lately. Whether it is mold on mold or mold growing in some far corner of the home, everyone’s mind is on mold these days. And, this really is a good thing because mold is not only dangerous, but it can cause a lot of unwanted health problems. No doubt eating mold sounds pretty scary, but you might be surprised to learn that you’ve likely already eaten it at least once or twice in your life.

The only difference was that you didn’t know you were eating it. Does this mean that you don’t have to throw that moldy cheese out? What if you just do happen to consume a strawberry or two with mold on it without realizing it? These are viable questions and deserve real, honest answers.

Always Turn To The Professionals

The first thing that you need to know is that mold should always be considered dangerous. Now, there are types of mold that don’t pose a threat at all, but this is not the way that it should be approached. This is because dangerous mold is so dangerous and interacting wrong around it could cause unwanted negative health issues.

Whether you are dealing with mold in the fridge or mold behind the fridge, you’re always going to want to opt for a professional company like The Duct Kings. Our company will not only come out, test the mold, tell you if it is dangerous or not, but we will safely remove it in the event that it needs to be removed. With years on top of years in the black mold removal business, we are one company that can be trusted and relied on for any moldy situation.

Understanding What Mold Is

Most people know what mold looks like, but they don’t truly understand it or what it is. Well, mold is considered microscopic fungi that can grow on plants or animal material. When it grows, it grows in a threadlike shape with branches and roots that grow even deeper into the food. You’ll oftentimes hear talk about mold spores as well.

These spores are the reproductive seed of the mold that can travel through the air and land on other substances or surfaces. From here it can then grow into mold. So, yes that moldy cheese can spread to you delectable strawberries or blueberries and taint them as well.

Is Mold Safe To Eat?

You might be surprised to learn how many people just cut off the moldy end of a piece of food and eat what’s leftover. You’re probably guilty of this to some degree. While this might not have affected you in an adverse manner, it certainly isn’t the best option. And, this is because mold grows in threadlike shapes, which allows the roots to spread throughout the entirety of the food item.

Your safest bet is just to eliminate the food item completely. However, the USDA itself does say that there are some items that can be saved by cutting at least 1-inch around and below the moldy spot. Softer foods with higher moisture content like yogurt or canned goods will probably need to be completely discarded since the mold can more easily penetrate into their surface. The same could be said for meat and poultry as well.

What Really Happens When You Eat Mold

Mold is no doubt a confusing and trick organism. So, if you have consumed some or fear that you have, there is no need to freak out just yet. You have to remember that mold has the potential to cause disease, which means that your body’s response will be entirely dependent on your immune system. If you have a weak immune system, you might not be able to fight the mold off. If you have a strong immune system, you might just simply need to wait for the situation out. Unfortunately, individuals with weaker immune systems will be at greater risk. The mold can eventually become systemic where it will invade the digestive tract, upper respiratory tract, and even the brain.

If you know that you have a weak immune system, are prone to allergies, or suffer from asthma-like conditions, you’ll immediately want to seek out medical attention. Heck, even if you have a healthy immune system and fear that you’ve eaten mold, it’d still be a good idea to get in touch with a medical professional of some sort because you can clearly see that the substance can invade the body and spread.

Know The Symptoms

If you think that you’ve eaten mold, you’ll want to keep an eye out for symptoms. Some of these symptoms can mimic that of food poisoning from mold and are:

  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • fever
  • diarrhea
  • headache
  • dizziness

If you experience any of these symptoms, you’ll want to immediately get in touch with a medical professional.